For years, life and business coaches have had a positive impact on people’s lives and businesses, including my own. Some of my long-time friends and consulting clients are coaches.
So, I don’t want you to think that I have some sort of vendetta against coaches as a whole when I say Internet Marketing Coaching doesn’t work.
Yesterday I got a phone call from a person who attended the Denver Startup Week session for which I served as a panelist. The session topic was about Lean Content Strategy and there were a few hundred people in attendance.
The caller asked me if I offered one-on-one Internet marketing coaching.
My reply was, “Internet Marketing Coaching never works.”
Of course, there are the few success stories out there where an Internet marketing coach helped turn a failing website into a rags to riches story. But, let’s be realistic here…
People who hire Internet marketing coaches are doing so because they’re not very successful with their Internet strategy. Wouldn’t you agree?
I would even go so far to bet that if you’re in need of an Internet marketing coach, you’re in one of three categories:
- Just starting out on the Internet and need extreme hand-holding to get going.
- Dead broke yourself and are desperate for someone to tell you in under 30 minutes how to make money online.
- Limited on funds preventing you from spending $300-$1,000 an hour (for a period of weeks or months) on a high-quality Internet marketing coach.
Granted, there are a few Internet marketing experts who are willing to, occasionally, take the time to coach for free or low-fee. This is sometimes called “mentoring.”
Mentors are usually rich beyond their means and work very few hours in the day while they sit back on their beach house porch and collect their residual income hand over fist. They have the time to give their time without expectation of financial return.
At least, that’s how mentees perceive their mentors!
Coaches (or better said: Willing mentors) like that are few and far between.
The vast majority who call themselves Internet marketing coaches offer Internet marketing coaching at a surprisingly low hourly fee, usually sold in packages, such as $300 for three one hour sessions.
Be ready to discover that this type of Internet marketing coach has more of a history of training than real coaching. You’ll learn how to add pages and posts to your WordPress website, perform better SEO, setup products on your shopping cart; functional topics.
Be very careful of administrative trainers holding themselves out as coaches.
True Internet marketing coaching is far different than mentoring or functional training.
An Internet marketing coach SHOULD have the following approach:
- Current Status – Where is your business now on the measurement of success? What is going well and what needs work?
- Skills Identification – What are you really good at, versus what you need to learn to be successful online, versus what you should pay to have done, versus what you should NEVER even try to learn or do.
- Wants Assessment – A good Internet marketing coach should have a vested interest in what you WANT to achieve. You can’t create goals until you know what you truly want for your life and business.
- Goals Identification – Establishing daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual goals that are realistic is a skill all its own and does not come naturally to every coach.
- Macro and Micro Planning – A good coach needs to see the big picture of where you are wanting to get to and help you produce a plan to get there. At the same time, your coach needs to be watching for the tiniest of details where improvements can be made. Most coaches tend to focus on one or the other.
- Accountability – A good coach holds the coachee accountable and gives that sometimes not so gentle nudge to get tasks completed.
How Do I Know All of This?
Over the past 20 years, I’ve served all possible roles discussed so far in this post, including coach, mentor, trainer.
I’ll add a few more to that list such as consultant, services provider, and project manager too.
As a general rule, I am not taking on new internet marketing coaching clients, because I’m so focused on working with people wanting to develop their live video presentation skills.
So, I say all of this without trying to lure you into my coaching program…because, there isn’t one!
What I will say is this: If you’ve been looking for an internet marketing coach, and NOT a mentor, and NOT a functional trainer, what should you know about why internet coaching doesn’t work?
Practically All Internet Marketing Coaching Programs Fail When:
1) The Internet marketing coach is not experienced
Most Internet marketing coaching programs are inspired by a world-renowned speaker but the coaching sessions are implemented by a second or third-hand employee making $10-$20/hr. The helpers might be experienced with Internet processes but very rarely will they be experienced with a wide variety of industries, products, and audiences.
Most Internet marketing coaches get paid by a combination of by-the-hour rate and how many coaching sessions they can get through in a day or week. Their interest is call volume…rather than your sales volume.
3) The Internet marketing coach loses interest if you don’t display positive results quickly
Make no mistake. Owners of Internet marketing coaching businesses care about one thing—getting through as many coaching clients as possible until that one lucky star makes a few bucks within 30 days and offers a testimonial. An Internet marketing coach wants only more coaching clients. And, they get those by wowing you at Internet marketing conferences with their occasional testimonials.
4) The Internet marketing coach won’t tell you exactly what to do
Many Internet marketing techniques that are suggested during coaching sessions never produce the expected results. Why? Because coaches are very afraid of liability. They legally can’t tell you to “try changing your headline to this…” They’ll instead tell you to “try a more captivating headline.” As a result, most suggested techniques never even get implemented because the coach is too vague in his instruction for a layperson to carry out the task.
5) The Internet marketing coach doesn’t care if you use your sessions or not
All of the previous four reasons for why Internet strategy coaching doesn’t work leads up to one result; the client stops calling for more coaching. The client gets intimidated that they’re not able to produce the results even with the coaching. The client is not able to implement the vague suggestions and lets time pass. Then, when contact is made, the coach is on to other projects…looking for those quick-hit testimonials.
What’s the Internet Marketing Coaching Solution?
Community and accountability is the only method I’ve heard of, and been a part of, to bring a positive result consistently. Find a group to hang out with regularly where the members are already doing what you want to do.
Become friends with people in the group. Become accountability partners with the group. Form a mastermind group that meets away from the regular meeting times of the group as a whole.
Learn Internet Marketing as Part of Live for Five
Have a look at our Live for Five sessions and watch the introductory video by Here Next Year’s Marty Dickinson. True, the focus is learning and practicing specific live video presentation skills. But, what do you do with the video once it’s produced? That’s where internet marketing comes into play and mentoring.
You choose the time and day that works best for you. With only 5 students allowed in each session, available slots fill up quickly! So, reserve your spot now.