Get More Traffic to Your Website with this List of Traffic Generators
What is the first thing that comes to mind as a way to get more visitors to your website?
Some might think “television ad during the Super Bowl.” But, most of us think getting traffic for free from Google’s organic search listings. After all, Google will list your website on top of its search results at no cost to you, right? Sort of, but not exactly.
There are really only five ways to get traffic to your website. These include:
- Spending the time yourself to buy traffic online (Google AdWords for example)
- Spending the time yourself to acquire free traffic (SEO, JVs, Posting to Social Media)
- Pay someone to buy online traffic for you (SEM Management Companies)
- Pay someone for their time to get free traffic for you (Social Networking Agencies)
- Barter someone’s time for something you can offer in exchange.
With that in mind, there is just no way to say this in a beat-around-the-bush sort of way when we say that…
There is No Free Traffic on the Internet.
We too had to discover this fact—the hard way I might add. But, when we did, our eyes were opened to so many new ways for how to approach traffic generation that we would use for years to come for our own projects as well as for Here Next Year clients.
Our Process for Developing 101 Realistic Traffic Methods
Here is our process:
- Research, discover, and document as many possible traffic methods as possible.
- Try all (or at least most) of the methods so that we know what we are recommending to others.
- Eliminate those that produce no traffic at all or are just not worth it and keep those that do work.
- Rank each traffic method by cost, ease of implementation, speed of implementation, expected ROI, and necessity (some things you just have to do).
- Number the traffic strategies into a sequence for implementation.
Here is Our 101 Realistic Website Traffic Builders List for 2020.
NOTE: The list of realistic website traffic methods are listed below in alphabetical order. They are not listed in order of preference, ranking or any other order to suggest you should implement one before another.
Instructions for ranking each and establishing an implementation plan for your own website is provided after the completion of the alphabetized list.
- Add a Voting Script to Your Website
- Add Posts to Your Social Networks (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram)
- Add Share Buttons to Every Post
- Advertise with High Use Directories (CitySearch and Verizon)
- Become an Active Member of an Association
- Build and Launch a Supporting Website
- Build Opt-in Lists and Send Broadcast Emails
- Buy Ad Space on High Traffic Websites
- Classified Ad Posting
- Comment on Other Peoples’ Blog Posts
- Conduct a Live Webinar
- Conduct a Milti-Day Virtual Live Conference
- Conduct and Host a One-Day Virtual Live Summit
- Conduct Surveys and Publish Your Statistical Results
- Co-op Promotion (Shared Ad Expenses)
- Coordinated Book Launch on Amazon
- Create a Facebook Group…and Run it Properly
- Create a Page of Text Snippets or Written Quotes that Others Can Use to Quote You
- Create a Recorded Video Sales Letter
- Create Video Bytes or Snippets
- Develop a Web-Based Tool Your Potential Clients will Use
- Develop and Launch an App
- Develop Merchandise Around Your Business
- Donate Your Services in Exchange for Publicity
- Enlist in a Traffic Exchange Program
- Facebook Ads
- Farm it ALL Out
- Follow News Stories in Your Niche and Participate in Discussion
- Gain Mention on .Edu or .Gov Sites
- Get Articles Published in Trade Magazines (Airplanes)
- Get Interviewed on Radio Talk Shows and Podcasts
- Get Listed in Business or Niche Directories
- Get Reviews for Your Business
- Get Your Product Reviewed by a Celebrity
- Get Your Website Listed in Local Networks
- Ghost Promotion
- Give Away a Portion of Sales Revenue to a Common Cause
- Give Your Printed Book Away
- Guest Blog for Others
- Hire a Website Promotion Coach
- Hold a Contest
- Host In-Person Events (On-hold due to Covid-19)
- Host a Virtual Live Meeting or Online Networking Group
- Host Your Own Traditional or Internet Radio Talk Show
- Improve Your Website’s Architecture
- Interview Other Experts
- Invite Guest Bloggers to Post on Your Website
- Joint Venture with Others
- Launch a Mobile Marketing Campaign
- Launch a Pay-per-Lead Campaign
- LinkedIn Post Parties
- Live Video (One to Many) Facebook Live
- Live Video (One to One) Facetime
- Make a Book Trailer Video
- Develop Business Cards that Work and Hand them Out
- Ning.com – Create Your Own Social Network Community
- Offer a Free Workshop
- Offer a Video Testimonial
- Organize a Group Promotion Virtual Live
- Paid Online Ads (Facebook, Insta, Google)
- Participate in a Forum
- Participate in Online Networking Groups by Video
- Participate in Other Peoples’ Online Groups
- Partner with Vendors
- Pay People to Write Lots of Blog Posts for You
- Pay to Appear on Local Television
- Pitch Local Media to Cover Your Expert Topic
- Post Cards and Flyers
- Premiums (Cups, Pens, Magnets)
- Present on Virtual Live Events
- Press Release Campaign
- Proactive Mining on Social Networks
- Promote and Conduct a Free Live Training Class
- Promote to National Media (HARO)
- Provide a Video Tutorial for a Software, Product or Process
- Purchase Website Ad Space
- Recorded Webinar
- Register a Domain Name for Your Opt-in Offer
- Retargeted Ads
- Sell Sponsorships for a Virtual Live Event
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Short-Term Banner Exchange
- Showcase Your Website on Your Social Network Profile (Facebook Sidebar)
- Solo Ads in Targeted Newsletters
- Speak at Live In-Person Events (On-hold due to Covid-19)
- Sponsor an Association Where Your Website Visitors Participate
- Start a Podcast
- Start a Referral Rewards Program for Your Services
- Start a YouTube Channel and Build a Collection of Videos
- Start an Affiliate Program for Your Products
- Start an Award
- Start an In-Person Meetup.com Group (On-hold due to Covid-19)
- Support Others’ Blogs by Becoming an Active Commenter
- Targeted Spam
- Vehicle Detail and Wrappers
- Word of Mouth Self-Promotion
- Write a Book
- Write a Column for Trade Magazine
- Write a Lead Magnet and Promote it Everywhere
- Write for Medium and Hub Pages
How to Make Your Website Traffic Building Plan with This List
- Ease of implementation
- Speed of implementation
- Expected ROI
Want to Dive Deeper into the 101 Website Traffic Methods?
We have created an eBook style document featuring all 101 Realistic Website Traffic Building Methods for you to take action more quickly with your traffic generation. This document was originally created in 2005 and has been updated a few times per year ever since. We use it for our clients’ two-year web marketing plans.
Each method includes a description of what it is, why it helps to generate website traffic, how we’ve set its rankings by cost, ease, speed, ROI, and necessity, and some best practices for deployment.
We charge only $27 for the full document which you can order here >> (Currently Being Updated for Fall 2020)
Or, you can register FREE to get immediate access to the full descriptions and rankings for the first 20 website traffic builders. After you implement those, come back to purchase the full document as a way to support our ongoing administration of the traffic methods.