In July of 2012, I was the last presenter on the final day of National Speakers Association National Convention. There were a little more than 100 people in the room as I covered using WordPress to Show Meeting Planners You Mean Business and 21 Things Meeting and Event Planners are Looking for in Your Speaker Website.
It was my first attendance at any NSA conference beyond my home chapter of NSA Colorado and one speaking gig at NSA Carolinas.
Over the 5-day conference intensive list of sessions, I discovered 10 very important things about professional speakers as follows:
1. Anyone who “wants” to know the professional speaking business really has no clue how the speaking business really works. So, if you want to be a professional speaker, don’t try to do it on your own.
2. The speaking business even two years ago was not the same speaking business it is today. Learn the rules or get burned and discouraged.
3. Simply hanging around other professional speakers that are more established than you will help you be a more successful speaker by learning skills and networking your availability as a speaker.
4. There are WAAAY more speakers that speak on YOUR topic than you ever thought; and they’re probably better presenters than you and they know the speaking business better than you too.
5. You could be getting TWICE the speaking fee you’re commanding now…if you only knew how to do it right.
6. Number of available speaking gigs is not the problem. Proving you can handle the gig is your key to filling your calendar with speaking gigs.
7. Most professional speakers could double their speaking opportunities if they only had a website that showed they knew the game.
8. No matter how serious your topic, the key to a great presentation is entertainment.
9. If you want to present like the pro’s, use a MAC instead of PowerPoint on a PC. Out of all the speakers at the NSA National Convention in June, I only saw ONE laptop connected to a projector that wasn’t a MAC. And, that one PC was MINE!!
10. The Colorado chapter of the National Speakers Association is one of THE most respected of all 47 chapters and anyone of any speaking level is welcome to attend. It is simply a small tragedy for any speaker to miss an NSA Colorado chapter meeting!
If you are a speaker within traveling distance of Denver Colorado, and you’re either just getting started or have reached a plateau in your speaking business, attend the next NSAColorado.org meeting.